The Covid-19 pandemic is an unprecedented and difficult time for everyone. We all know the NHS has been pushed to its limits. Now, a year on, the huge strain on the national health services has left us with most non-urgent treatment being postponed indefinitely. Where does this leave us?
Private Medical Insurance (PMI), we have all heard of it and some of us have taken the necessary steps to obtain it for ourselves and our families. So, what is it? Medical insurance can supplement what the NHS already provides. It pays most, if not all, of your medical bills if you seek private treatment. Everything from staying overnight in a hospital bed, to consultations, to surgery.
You are in control.
The policy gives you the comfort of choosing which hospitals to visit and when to visit them or, for something simpler, you could just let the plan do it for you. Certain providers have policy options that guide you to the right consultant or specialist.
One of the key benefits health insurance has afforded clients in the past, is the ability to avoid long NHS waiting times by offering fast access to eligible treatment. This now comes in the form of Digital GPs! In the past these have been paid add-ons to private medical insurance policies. Now, with the onset of the Coronavirus, almost every insurer has gone on to provide this option for free to all of their customers. A Digital GP gives you the ability to speak to a GP 24 hours of the day and 7 days a week, whenever you need to. This has never been more important than the times we live in.
How do I get started?
It all depends on how you set up your plan. Cover can be adjusted to suit your requirements and your budget.
Policies usually start with a ‘Core cover’ or a minimum Out-Patient offering. This is then enhanced by adding on extra benefits such as Dental, Therapies or Mental health cover. The cost of the plan can then be managed by increasing your excess or opting for guided plans.
As PMI policies are annually renewable, like your car insurance, you can always amend the type of cover you have after a plan year.
We have outlined a few of the offers from insurance providers that you may be able to claim on.
- Vitality GP is available to all members (Individual, Group PMI & Vitality at Work)
- Vitality Health members with an eligible plan get a discounted rate on COVID-19 testing.
- Daily cashback for members hospitalised due to COVID-19*
- Babylon GP app is available to all members, featuring a COVID-19 Care Assistant to help recognise Covid-19 Symptoms. The app is also available to everyone who is not a BUPA health insurance customer.
AXA Private Healthcare:
- Free remote GP appointments and specialist consultations when needed.
- AXA’s Health at Hand option is now extended to all policy holders. 24-hour access to nurses, pharmacists, or a midwife.
- AXA’s Active Plus gives members access to a wide range of discounts from Gym memberships to Bicycles and Activity trackers.
AVIVA Health Insurance:
- NHS cash benefit – this existing benefit will be available for any customers hospitalised as a result of COVID-19.
- Aviva Digital GP (if it is included in your plan)
- Physiotherapy through Back2Better – Virtual consultation capability will be made available.
- Aviva is also offering financial assistance to policy holders suffering from COVID-19 in the form of deferring monthly insurance payments by up to 3 months
*These benefits can change and are at the discretion of the insurer. Please speak to an adviser to find out what is currently available.
How can we help?
At WIS Business Protection, we have access to the whole market, giving you access to a range of providers and options to choose from, whether it is for your business or your family.
As your policy will be up for renewal every year, our annual review gives you the benefit of us comparing all the deals available in the market for you so rest assured, you’ll always have the best product in the market.
If you already have a policy in place, that’s great! However, if you want to get an independent review of your existing policy, call us for a no obligation chat!